Thursday, January 2, 2014

2014. Yay.

Been a fair bit since I posted. Don't have anything groundbreaking or particularly rant-ish to post today, so I'll just sum up how my transition from 2013 to 2014 went.
Unity Multiplayer Games is now officially published. Yay! If you haven't considered buying it, for shame! I'm just kidding. But seriously, go buy it.
In other book-related events, I received a copy of Masters of Doom for Christmas. I finished it in two days (it was very difficult to put down). It's an excellent read, and I highly recommend it.
Got a new Xbox 360 E as well, plus GTA 5. First game I've owned in the series (I was previously uninterested, until Rockstar announced GTA Online, and watching Achievement Hunter videos thoroughly converted me). I expect to be playing plenty of that.
I'm toying with the idea of rebooting an old game of mine, NecroPixels. It was originally an entry for a multiplayer games contest which one third place. That said, I've lost the original source code - which is fine, since it was buggy as hell to begin with. One idea is to shoot for DOOM-style graphics. It's just a thought for the moment.
I'm also making more forays into physically-based shading. I've been toying with simplified/modified cook-torrance. I say "modified" because the fresnel effect was way too strong for my taste (could have been the implementation, not sure). Don't know if I'm going to really finish it or not.

Sorry if the post feels disorganized and rambling. I just felt the need to post something so people know I'm not dead. Or abducted by aliens.

No comments:

Post a Comment